Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Toyota Sienna XLE Limited - JBL Navigation Problem


Puzzled by the inoperable navigation system, i decided to do some research. A little history first. On very rare occasions, the JBL head unit would not come on at all. We experienced this problem less than five times in the 2 years we've owned this van. The unit would not come on for a few minutes after starting the vehicle, but would eventually become operable (usually after 5 minutes). Two weeks ago, the unit would not come on at all. Every button was unresponsive. The rear entertainment system worked fine, however no audio was heard thru the speakers due to the head unit being off. After looking at several RAD (radio) fuses in the engine compartment and driver's side fuse panel, as well as removing the head unit and ensuring proper connections, the JBL navigation unit suddenly began working again. It word for less than 1 day before returning to the dreaded "black screen". I found a list of all radio fuses from Sienna.org and inspected all of them. They all appeared to be in good condition. After re-installing the fuses, the radio again began to work.


My understanding at this point is that there is some poor connections in the fuse box that is prohibiting the correct amount of current to be supplied to the JBL head unit. This could be due to rust or not properly seating the fuses. Either way, the problem appears to be solved. BTW, the JBL head unit costs $3,700 from the Toyota dealer. Glad this didn't require a replacement!


Now, if I could just figure out how to fix the heated driver seat problem without taking the seat apart or going to the Toyota dealer for service.

4 comments:

girlycatruns said...

have you found that your fix was effective? I am having trouble with my radio/nav system. The dealership tells me the system needs to be replaced for $3500. The did offer to give me a $100 discount. Nice, huh?

Damon Dougherty said...

We have not had any problems with the NAV system in the Sienna since I removed and re-seated all the radio fuses. That has been over 2 years I believe. Try that as well as removing the radio from the dash and re-seating all the connections in the unit.

Sage Pierce said...

Hi- can you help me find the link for the list of radio fuses you were talking about for the sienna nav/radio? I have an '06 with the same problem you had. This is so frustrating! Thanks.

Damon Dougherty said...

Sage, I cannot recall what all the fuses I checked a few years ago, but I believe there were RAD1 and RAD2 listed in the fuse box under the hood. I think there was also a fuse labeled RAD under the dash... probably on the drivers side. I sold the van and bought and 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring.